Cooking Light's Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Cranberry Relish
The January issue of Cooking Light magazine had some terrific vegetarian soups. The Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup is very low in Weight Watchers Points - about 3 Points per serving! This should give you plenty of room for a salad, some bread sticks, and maybe a glass of wine.
You may want to double or triple this recipe and freeze for later.
Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Cranberry Relish
Yield: 4 servings
From Cooking Light
This is a thick puree of carrots and sweet potatoes garnished with a zesty cranberry topping. Storing and transporting is easy: Place one cup soup, about one tablespoon relish, and 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley in separate containers. To serve, reheat the soup; combine the relish and parsley, and garnish. Crisp breadsticks and a small wedge of sharp cheddar cheese complete the meal.
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots (1 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 small onion, cut into 8 wedges (about 14 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil 4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
To prepare relish, combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. Preheat oven to 400°. To prepare soup, combine carrots, sweet potato, and onion on a jelly-roll pan; drizzle with oil. Toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown, stirring after 15 minutes.
Place vegetables, broth, and ginger in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Place half of vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl; repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture. Stir in salt and pepper. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls. Stir parsley into relish. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon relish mixture.
CALORIES 144 (24% from fat); FAT 3.8g (sat 0.5g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 2.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 44mg; SODIUM 763mg; FIBER 3.4g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.7g
|Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed.|